Monday 25 January 2010

The weekend

Right to update you all. My new hard drive was install over the weekend. It took a while as my PC was custom built it had no driver disks so they all had to be located. The motherboard, graphics card - everything. This took about a day to locate, burn disks of and reinstall them on my new PC. (i also have copies of these disks should my hard drive die again) Then i had to re install all my software. I did this leaving Maya until last as i know it has some problem, and it did.

For some reason when setting up the new new hard drive it had renamed itself H: instead of C:, which really is no immediate problem to your PC unless your using a C: for the licence code. The only thing is you cannot just rename your drive, it would mean formatting the hard drive again and reinstalling the whole thing, this time with no drivers but the hard drive and CD connected, then the drive would become C: which i wasnt prepared to do. So i had to go into control panel - administrative tools - computer management to bring up a screen that allows me to rename the letter of other drives. I needed H: to be a C: so i renamed the flash drive port that was currently a C: to an L: meaning that C: would now be free on the list. I then renamed my external hard drive from G: to C:. This all meant that if i moved the licence file onto the 'C:' drive (external hard drive) it could locate it properly and allow Maya to start. I know you're probably thinking why didn't i just programme it to search 'H:' to save all the hassle, but i couldn't, even if i tried to script it in the run menu as the C: drive search was embedded in the crack file.

This was all finally completed last night at 3am.

I took my pc to my friend john in dartford friday night after uni and stayed until midnight troubleshooting whether it was a virus, hardware fail or what until we dicovered it was the harddrive. (We connected a different drive and it tried to boot.) So then before work saturday i had to buy a new harddrive and take this up to dartford when john could start to build it into my pc. I then had work until midnight after which i went back up to dartford to collect my pc. Sunday before work i put most of my software on but had to leave beofre finishing and after work when i came home was when i was talking vis messenger tring to sort out maya, which brings me to now and today. No further than i was friday afternoon. With tonnes to do and a dissertation to work on. Oh, and the premiere file i had built my final animation in was on the harddrive and not the external so i have to restart that again.

2 comments:

  1. My God, I feel exhausted just catching up on your blog ... how are you now Heather? Did everything work out in the end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather I loved the sentiment you were able to convey in your animation and the music was exceptional to your piece.

    ReplyDelete